The Weyburn and District Canoe and Kayak Club (WDCKC) is looking for an enthusiastic and responsible coach for the competitive club and introductory paddle programs this summer at Nickle Lake, Saskatchewan. The selected coach will have the opportunity to work with coaches within Saskatchewan to develop new coaching skills. We strongly encourage anyone interested in working this summer to send their resume and cover letter to email@example.com prior to April 28, 2017.
To promote the development, participation and organization of canoe/kayak within Weyburn and the surrounding community including running regular programing at a club level.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Exhibit good interpersonal and communication skills with participants and parents
- Possess strong technical canoe/kayak skill with the ability to impart that knowledge to people learning the sport of canoeing and kayaking
- Ability to work with other coaches in the province to share coaching skills back to the club and its participants.
- Develop program content for competitive club that complies with Long Term Athlete Development (LTAD).
- Travels to competitions as requested by the board (competitions will be on weekends)
- Ensure safety and proper supervision of club participants on and off water.
- Coach introductory programs offered by the club
- Maintain an overall professional, safe, positive attitude and atmosphere while coaching
- Willingness to take on miscellaneous tasks, maintaining equipment and facilities, repairing equipment
- Facilitate improvement in participation and organization of the WDCKC on and off the water
- Support athlete and coach development programs for athlete and coach development
- Arrive 15 min prior to the beginning of scheduled sessions and stay 15 min after each session ends
- Prepare equipment each day prior to sessions and ensure all equipment is locked and put away at the end of each session
- Ensure all participants are aware of club rules and follow all safety guidelines
- Ability to handle money, make receipts and keep files organized of membership and boat rental forms.
- Keep in contact with Board and direct supervisor regularly regarding any issues, or needs of the club, the programs or the facilities.
- Must be a student returning to school in the fall of 2017.
- Submit timesheets to supervisor on preset dates
Post Secondary Education or Experience and Certifications
- Strong communication and writing skills with the ability to work well in cooperation with others and alone
- Sport or Recreation Administration, Kinesiology, Sports marketing or Business with experience in sport program development, administration or sport delivery (Recommended but not needed)
- Canoe/kayak NCCP Coach trained or certified at the Competition – Introduction level (ELCC) *
- Canoe Kids *
- Respect in Sport
- First Aid, CPR Certification
- Motorboat License
- Excellent organizational skills
- computer literacy
- the ability to work with minimal supervision
- Fully charged cell phone – For emergency use ONLY! (waterproof/floating case provided)
- *Willing to provide training to prospective candidates if they are missing 1 or 2 or the required certifications.
- Wage will be commensurate with experience
- Positions available will be based upon funding grants received by the WDCKC